“Five-Star Author is the only micro job website that caters to the book publishing industry,” says Caroline Thomas, who with her staff, operates the site. Thomas states that authors in need of anything from a Kindle ebook to a website or an agent will be able to find it all in this one location. While other sites offer services geared toward the mainstream, FiveStarAuthor.com targets the writer and the needs that range from producing a manuscript to and through distribution and marketing.
Thomas explains that, “We are authors who realize that there is an enormous amount of work necessary to make a book a success. We have attempted to create a marketplace where authors can find the tools and services they need, provided by experts in their particular area, throughout the writing process and beyond.”
Thomas adds, “We hope you find what you are looking for here at FiveStarAuthor.com and have great success with your work. We think that the site was created with a win-win notion.” The author can find affordable, professional services in one location, and micro job workers have another avenue to focus their attention on and to garner an additional source of income.
The website was officially launched February 26, 2013, and is now in the process of building its base of service providers and authors.
Authors and industry service providers can go to FiveStarAuthor.com to take part in this collaboration.
On more than one occasion, I have had my book, A Call to Faith, the Journey of a Cancer Survivor,” turned away when being offered for FREE!
Let me give you an example. I am lucky enough to have a friend who is somewhat of a philanthropist and has offered a hospital in Philadelphia 100 free copies of the book for the benefit of the cancer patients and their families. No brainer right. One would expect a big thank you and off they go. But the response was NO! The reason being, albeit the book has its merits, the hospital thought that it was to “religious,” and decided not to accept. Needless to say my donor friend was upset, and will now think of other places to kindly give.
Even though the book is entitled, “A Call to Faith,” the premise behind its writing was to give hope and encouragement to those going through difficult times, particularly cancer. One can be Christian, as am I, or an atheist. The take home message here is hope, and if you get that through faith or humanism, this book gives you one mans journey into how he handled his life threatening illnesses.
Please read the reviews on Amazon and other places that describe how readers related to it in both secular and non-secular ways.
Last I looked, over 90 percent of the population believed in a higher deity.
1. Hi Jay. Thanks for taking the time to do this interview. Can you tell us a little about yourself and your books?
When I graduated with a degree in Liberal Arts from Gettysburg College in the early ‘80’s, the last profession I thought I would find myself in would be authoring books. I was nudged into writing my first book, “A Call to Faith, the Journey of a Cancer Survivor,” by those who had heard my story. I am a four-time survivor of cancer and used this experience to write a story that was intended to heal, give hope, and inspire others who have walked a similar path. The story thus far has reached thousands of people both domestically and abroad, with a possible film version in the works. Prior to writing, I helped found a business that was involved with the stock market, which was later sold to Dow Jones & Company. I am currently in remission from the cancer and live with my family in Charleston, SC.
2. Why should an author buy your new book ‘How to Get 5 Figure Downloads’ when there are so many free resources out there on the Internet?
Good question. What I think I offer to the author is a one-stop repository for the vast majority of resources that they need to make their Kindle Free Days most successful. I also lay out an organized model to help keep them on track in preparing for the free days. For instance, I suggest that you begin the process at least 30 days prior to the date you are launching your free days. When I was using the KDP Select 5 Free Days promotion for my own book, I had to spend hours scouring the internet to look for websites, articles, tips, or anything I could find that would help promote my book during the free promotional period. My thought was, I can’t be the only author looking for this information, so I compiled my own research into the short ebook, “How to Get Five Figure Downloads.” With this ebook, you now have a systematic plan of attack for promoting your work on your free days. “Build it and they will come,” is not the mantra of this marketing effort. Remember, there are hundreds of other authors promoting as well, so you need all the tools available to you in your arsenal to stay ahead. In my first promotion of 5 days, over 12,000 ebooks were downloaded using this method.
3. Can you tell us more about what exactly a KDP Select 5 Free Days promotion is?
KDP stands for Kindle Direct Publishing and it is a part of the Amazon series of families. The Select 5 Free Days promotion allows an author who is signed up for KDP to market their books free of charge for any 5 days during a 90 day period. It is quick and easy, and if you don’t have your book(s) listed there, you can go to https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/KDPSelect and make them a part of the program in minutes. The website will give you real-time numbers as to the total of your books being downloaded. The program is known and anticipated daily by people around the world, which makes it a good place to put your book for maximum marketing exposure.
4. What’s the number 1 mistake that authors make when it comes to setting up their Kindle promotion?
I think the number one mistake authors make is not giving themselves enough time to promote their book adequately. Remember, you as the author must do all the promotional work to let people know that your book is going to be available on your free days, and this takes a little time.
5. What are the top 3 things an author can do today to turbo-charge their Kindle promotion?
There are a plethora of things an author can do, but I would recommend the following:
Time – Give yourself at least 30 days to start thinking about the planning process. Some of the best free Kindle websites require you to submit your information 30 days in advance of your promotion in order to get a spot on their site.
Multiple Submissions – Submit your book information to as many sites as you think relevant to your book. Remember, every site you apply to is not going to have the space to list you on your free promotional days, so the more the merrier.
Paid Advertising – I would definitely think of utilizing some paid advertising to promote your free days. This way, you are ensured to have a space on the site and people will know your book is coming. Many sites offer advertising at very reasonable rates.
I hope authors everywhere have great success on their KDP Select 5 Day promotional period!
Cancer is an insidious disease that touches far too many of us. Having had cancer four times, I apparently am here for a reason, a “new normal,” so to speak. Ever since my bouts with cancer and trying to clear my mind from “chemo brain,” I always run into trying to figure out what I am going to do next. What are the plans for me on this earth?
Before I get ahead of myself, let me give you a little background on me and what I consider the three stages of the cancer cycle:
1. Diagnosis – One thing we all can share is the overwhelming, indescribable feeling of being told that we have cancer. I was unfortunate enough to hear that phrase four different times from the doctors. Each time was a new journey into the surreal and wonderment of the meaning of life and death. By the way, I don’t plan on hearing that phrase for a fifth time! Those of us who have been uttered that statement by a doctor share a common bond, a fraternity of sorts that no one wants to be a member of. As my doctor iterated to me on my bone cancer diagnosis, “this is the beginning of your journey.” And what a journey it has been!
2. Treatment- I think most of us are aware of the big three, as far as treatment goes; radiation, chemotherapy, and possibly surgery. Some will have one of the various treatments, and if you’re like me, you will be lucky enough to go through them all! The one piece of advice I would give is to make sure you are doing the right thing treatment wise. If you are like me, and come from a smaller town, you should consider going to one of the major cancer centers near you. I was originally misdiagnosed locally, and it led to perhaps more radiation than I should have received. Also, I had a tumor in my arm from the bone cancer. Believe it or not, I went to three different major hospitals, and all had different surgical techniques for dealing with the arm!
3. Remission – Just as one feels the emotions of hearing the word “cancer” in the diagnosis phase, the opposite compliment to that can be true when you hear the word “remission” told to you by your doctor. But what now? Life has changed so much for some of us that we can’t live as we use to. For me, I no longer have use of my right arm, since a prostheses replaced my old arm. As with me, I was no longer physically or emotionally able to go back to my career as a teacher, so I am in search of a “new normal,” so-to-speak. Currently, I have been writing books and spending lost time with my family. I have chronicled my story in a book entitled, “A Call to Faith, the Journey of a Cancer Survivor.” While faith played a part in my healing, this story can relate to anyone who has gone through cancer or has had cancer affect their family. Whether you know it or not, you have been changed on your own journey, and you too can find your “new normal” if need be.